Responsible for on-site and tele-medicine management of medical, trauma and environmental emergencies under the supervision of a registered nurse and the emergency department physician on duty.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
- Able to triage, assess, extricate (if applicable) and treat injured and sick persons.
- Responsibilities include: Life support, airway management, oxygen therapy, venous access, shock prevention, splinting, spinal immobilization, vehicular extrication.
- Ability to establish patient airway with oral and naso-pharyngeal airways, endotracheal intubation.
- Able to ventilate a patient with mask/ambu bag when necessary.
- Able to suction oral secretions.
- Immobilizes extremities on trauma patients; applies direct pressure to control hemorrhaging.
- Able to administer fluids and medications in the field.
- Follows the seven (7) medication rights and reduces the potential for medication errors.
- Able to assess pain and provide pain management.
- Interprets basic cardiac monitoring.
- Performs and assists with technical skills as defined in the scope of practice.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
- Adheres to policies addressing standard precautions, safety regulations and guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and the skills necessary to provide age appropriate care to the patients served. Able to interpret data about patient's status in order to identify each patient's age specific needs and provide care needed by the patient group.
- Documentation meets current standards and policies.
- Transports patients and supplies safely.
- Operates equipment safely and correctly.
- Communicates clearly and concisely to co-workers, physicians, nurses.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, inservice meetings and workshops; shows responsibility for ongoing education.
- Other duties as assigned within the paramedic scope of practice.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Current EMT - Paramedic certification.
- Current BCLS, ACLS, PALS certifications.
- Valid State of Texas Driver's License.