Responsible for the processing of laboratory specimens and reporting of results in all areas of the clinical laboratory. Responsible for the collecting, testing and storing of blood. Maintains Blood Bank records. Supervises or performs Blood Bank procedures. Maintains laboratory records. Follows laboratory policies and procedures; maintains quality control practices in the Laboratory. Participates in performance improvement activities.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
- Ability to function in all areas of the clinical laboratory: transfusion services, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology/immunology, and urinalysis.
- Responsible for performing high-complexity testing.
- Maintains the inventory of the Blood Bank.
- Performs all antibody screening and identification and cross-matching procedures required in the administration of blood/blood components.
- Responsible for typing blood.
- Verifies blood group of donor or patient following policy and procedure.
- Is knowledgeable about the centrifuge for separating blood plasma from red blood cells.
- Responsible for inspecting stored blood for signs of spoilage, discards expired/spoiled blood.
- Crossmatches blood to determine compatibility.
- Responsible for identifying the antibodies in donors or patient’s blood that could react adversely during transfusion.
- Always verifies that the proper specimen is being analyzed for the proper patient and for the indicated test procedure.
- Interacts professionally with all department members, physicians, staff, administration and the Director of Pathology.
- Initiates the meeting of responsibilities without prompting.
- Demonstrates ability to review test results to ensure quality control.
- Alters or adjusts methods and procedures for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Performs quality control procedures and instrument checks.
- Demonstrates knowledge of expected lab values for the neonate, pediatric, adolescent, adult and geriatric patient.
- Notifies patient care unit and/or physician of critical lab values.
- Maintains accurate laboratory records on procedures performed for statistics and billing.
- Meets current documentation standards and policies.
- Interacts professionally with the Manager of Clinical Laboratory, Pathologist and clinical laboratory staff.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
- Follows standard precautions at all times.
- Manages and operates laboratory equipment safely and correctly.
- Demonstrates knowledge of new testing methods, products, instrumentation; remains informed on all current technologies.
- Maintains current knowledge of hospital policy, accrediting organization, state and other regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Demonstrates the value of team concept on a consistent basis.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology, Chemistry or Biology, preferred
- Certification as a Medical Technologist in the following specialties; blood bank, chemistry, hematology, microbiology, serology/immunology.