Job Summary: Responsibilities include interviewing the patient/patient’s family to obtain the patient’s demographic and insurance information, verify insurance, collect co-payments, and obtain signatures on various documents. Will register ER patients at the bedside when necessary. Responsible for transferring and discharging inpatients when appropriate, determination and collection of patient’s financial responsibility at the point of service, and satisfaction of regulatory requirements (Advance Directives, medical necessity determination; Medicare Secondary Payer completion and coordination of benefits; Important Message from Medicare issuance, HIPAA policy and Patient Rights distribution; and EMTALA). The ability to communicate concisely and clearly is important. Critical thinking skills for problem resolution is required. Essential is the ability to provide excellent customer service to patients, patients’ family members, healthcare providers, medical staff offices, and peers.
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas
- Strong interpersonal/public relations skills.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of customers in a diverse environment.
- Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid, Commercial and HMO payers.
- Ability to perform analytical problem solving.
- Ability to perform basic math.
- Ability to operate concurrently within a variety of hospital systems.
- Working knowledge of PC applications, Word, Excel, etc.
- Keyboarding skills.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to follow directions and establish priorities effectively.
- Self-directed and capable of working without direct supervision.
- Dependable in both production and attendance.
- Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function well under stressful situations
- High school graduate or equivalent required.
- Bilingual capability (English/Spanish) desired.